What is platform-agnostic technology and 6 key benefits on why you need it
Have you heard the phrase “platform-agnostic technology” and wondered what it means?
Simply put, it is a technology that can be used with any type of system, regardless of underlying systems’ technology or architecture. In other words, an agnostic platform is not tied to any specific system or environment and holds universal value by connecting various systems.
This is an important concept for commercial real estate businesses to understand because it means they can be open minded and unbiased towards the technology for their needs, without being locked into a particular vendor or platform. For example, an agnostic platform can connect to several different systems, such as elevators, access control, CMMS, HVAC systems, IoT sensors, and others, and they do not need to be a specific brand or have specific underlying technology.
The concept of agnostic technology is not new – it has been around for many years. For example, when you pay your friend through Venmo, you are using an agnostic platform that seamlessly transfers money from any one account to another. Similarly, it is becoming increasingly important as the real estate sector advances to a more open, diverse, yet agnostic platform for offering smarter and unified experience to all occupants.
Key benefits of bringing platform-agnostic technology into your building
1. Flexibility: You can choose the best technology for your specific needs, without being tied to a particular vendor or platform.
2. Interoperability: Agnostic platform can be used with any type of system, making it easier to integrate modern technologies into existing building systems.
3. Cost savings: Owners and operations teams can avoid the need to purchase multiple technologies to support different platforms. With a unified platform, all your existing systems and sensors can be connected into a single source.
4. Consistency: In the case of a portfolio, or an enterprise scenario where multiple systems might be in play, the differences of the underlying systems are abstracted away. This gives a consistent user experience when interacting with the platform as well as access to normalized data.
5. Increased competition: Building management teams can choose from a wider range of vendors for systems and sensors, which can help to drive down costs.
6. Evergreen value: Because agnostic platform can integrate with all other technologies, now and in the future, your smart building platform can maintain relevancy and integrate with all future technologies to come. Should you decide a new sensor or tech of the future is what your building needs, the agnostic technology platform will be able to integrate into that as well, keeping up with advances in the industry.
What makes Cohesion technology-agnostic
With Cohesion’s agnostic technology platform, you can have the flexibility you need to make your buildings smarter and efficient with any of your systems and sensors. We ensure integration with your building hardware and software systems to encompass your needs.
Device agnostic – our platform works with an array of different sensors, IoT devices, and technology platforms. Protocol agnostic – we offer a variety of protocol level integrations. This means our platform will communicate with other platforms over any supported protocols. For example, our platform will pull in data from Building Automation Systems (BAS) using BACnet, IP or MS/TP regardless of your BAS system provider. Vendor agnostic – we developed certified integration solutions to more than 35 third-party systems, more than any other smart building platform out there. We continuously add new integrations to our integration library to stay true to our mission of being an agnostic platform.
Future agnostic – We continuously maintain and adapt to new protocols to stay current with the evolving technology landscape of the real estate industry.
Data agnostic – The ability to integrate to all building systems, provides valuable data and insights to make informed decisions about underlying assets.
In a world where technology is constantly evolving, building owners and operations teams need to be able to adapt quickly and easily. Our agnostic technology provides the flexibility and interoperability you need to stay relevant and future-forward.